Monday, January 21, 2013

Our Opinion on Chinese Martial Arts



 Here are 3 beginner forms.

We like the fact all aspects of fighting are covered. Striking, take downs, and grappling can all be mastered with the study of Chinese Martial arts. As I've told my son many times, being a one dimensional fighter is a sure way to get beat by certain opponents. Take our favorite UFC fighter, Cung Lee, if he was ever taken down during a fight, he would be at a severe disadvantage. Take a look at his fight against Scott Smith. Once he was down briefly, his only defense was to try to stand up. During the time he was trying to get up, Scott just rained blows onto him. In my opinion, it cost him the fight. 

Now I'm sure every non-Kung Fu person is in total disagreement. However, I'm only speaking on what I've seen. I regularly visit new schools to see what they do and if there is a seminar available, I might sign Brandon up for it. Take for instance the seminar I signed him up for at Ultrafit in Harlingen. They had a UFC trainer come down and give a class on Thai Boxing. I was more than happy to have my son attend it. Our instructor didn't mind in the least and Brandon received some excellent cross-training. (Another reason we like our instructor.) So, I have looked at more than one school. 

With the other schools I have visited, it's either striking or grappling. There is never a combination of both. I'm surprised this is the case. With all the excitement towards UFC in recent years, I would think most schools would be doing this. Instead, it's the exception not the rule. 

Another reason I like Chinese Martial Arts is the overall dynamics of it. Let me explain. When I watch a person practice Kung Fu, I see a multitude of blocks and attacks performed. This interests me. However, when I watch something like Judo, I want to leave. From this spectator’s viewpoint, all I see is people practicing throws 80% of the time. I once went to watch a Judo competition thinking it would be exciting. I was nearly bored to tears. It was people struggling to throw the other person and it was done. I also find Taekwondo rather limited. It’s mostly a series of straight punches and kicks; not really my idea of exciting.

Are there people who do Judo and Taekwondo and are still versatile in all there fighting methods? I’m sure they are. I’m just stating I’ve never seen it.

So, don’t misunderstand me. Do I think other martial arts styles are bad? No, they just don’t fit my or my son’s personality. I don’t think any of them would hold our attention long enough for him to become successful at it. I believe one of the reason’s my son has  put so much effort into Kung Fu and come along quite well is due to me only missing 3 of his classes in the last 3 years. If I had to sit around and watch him do Judo, I probably would have quite before he did. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I find many useful things here with. It is really amazing for us.
Shaolin temple kung fu academy