Thursday, January 30, 2014

Interview with Master Jean Phoenix Le Grand

Master Le Grand
Master Le Grand
Master Le Grand is an 8th Dan/Degree Black Belt, Head Master, President, Creator & Founder of Lost Legacy™ Martial Arts/Systems, Inc. & all systems within it, under the direct supervision of Grand Master-Monk Dr. Jude Innocent and Grand Master “Tiger” Paul Innocent. He holds Black Belts in Tiger Jude 7 Styles, Tiger Paul Tae Kwon Do Modern Karate-Do, Kodokan Judo,  IOMASDA Ryu/Tetsu Tako Do, Sanuces Ryu Jiu-Jutsu, Ninjutsu/Ninjitsu, New Shaolin Boxing Kung-Fu & Ultimate Bujutsu System. (See his bio and extensive list of qualifications here.)

BKO Kung Fu: How did moving from Haiti to the United States affect your martial arts training?

Master Le Grand: It didn’t affect my training at all being that I was just starting the martial arts at such a young and naive age. Haiti was my introduction to the Martial Arts….My Foundation. The benefits of being in Haiti at that time were that my Mom’s younger brothers were there teaching me what they knew and were taught. As a child you are a sponge and because my family was doing it made it a way of life for me to do it too.

BKO: How were you able to obtain high levels in so many types of martial arts?

Master Le Grand: My main Grand Masters, Monk Tiger Jude Innocent & Tiger Paul Innocent, my Uncles, encouraged cross training in different styles with different practitioners as they did in the past. I was fortunate to be in a family of Martial Artist that knew other Martial Artist which granted me some forms of access into different schools or groups which enlightened me further in the Arts. Later on as I matured, I searched for different schools on my own that caught my interest in philosophy and style. I found myself going to 2 or 3 schools at the same time. One or two in Brooklyn, NY or Queens, NY and the other in China Town, Manhattan, NYC. Those days a lot of schools did not like the idea of you training at another school so I kept it quiet & to myself. Presently, not only am I teaching and training, I am also learning from a 9th Generation Kung Fu Grand Master. The journey never ends for a TRUE Martial Artist.

BKO: You have Ph D. in Martial Arts/Asian Philosophy. What was your thesis on? Could you give us a paragraph or two about it?

Master Le Grand: Yes I have two (2)! I decided to test my knowledge on Martial Arts as an all and further understand the mindset behind it rather than the physical aspects this society seems to promote it as. They were online courses given by the National Dragon Council University of Asian Studies and the International Council of Higher Martial Arts education ran by the World Organizer of Martial Arts. I searched the web for the most prestigious and organized groups that had some of the great names of recognized martial artist I was aware of and sent a request asking how I would obtain such an honor, and the rest is history.
My thesis was/is called “Lost Tao of the Martial Artist”. It is based on my travels as a Martial Artist and the physical, mental/emotional & spiritual journeys I’ve encounter as a student growing into becoming a teacher. The Art of War by Sun Tzu (which I re-wrote the Modern Day version to in another interview in WeMerge Magazine), inspired my format of writing this thesis.

Here is a part from it:
"Kata"

I had many tell me, "why kata? I don’t need that! Show me the real stuff!"

"Those who claim they are Martial Artist and bypass Kata, truly have missed an important aspect to their training no matter what form of martial arts they practice.

Those who seek the arts or who have trained within the arts and disregard the learning of kata, don’t realize if you do kata, you learn the ancient meanings of Kyusho Jitsu (Dim Mak) hidden within your forms which you will find, by many names, in every art. This is why we develop chi breathing (inner power) within our katas applying them to the right strike and/or to the right part of our body when it is in harms way. "

BKO: What time management tools or concepts do you utilize in order to accomplish so much?

Master Le Grand: I’ve always had the skillset creatively to add something into my life if I saw it beneficial and with that came a strong passion to do so. I prioritized my necessities in order to accomplish what was most important in my life at that time. Then I scheduled them strategically throughout my day and week. Time management when scheduling, of course, was the marriage for the two. I set my goals and gave myself a time limit to accomplishing each section so in that way I have a deadline and didn’t find myself frustrated or overwhelmed when the work seemed over bearing. Concentration and focus through the years of martial Arts also played a BIG part!

BKO: There are so many people who learn a few styles and create their own style. What makes your system stand out above the rest?

Master Le Grand: What makes my system different is the acceptance that nothing remains as it is. What I mean by that is that we call our system “an evolving art” meaning that it changes with time. What worked then doesn’t always work now because technology and life itself changes. So we ADAPT. So our techniques, forms, weaponry etc…are always upgraded to flow with the present. LOST LEGACY…bringing back a Legacy that was Lost within “us”. We are the SYSTEM.

BKO: There seems to be a lot of mystery and skepticism around Ninjutsu? Can you draw some lines between myth and reality?

Master Le Grand: I was told, in the mid 90’s by my Ninjutsu Mentor the Late Professor Ronald Duncan Sr (Way of the Winds), that Ninjutsu as a martial arts is very practical so it can be practiced and structured as a full martial arts style as a few are doing so today. As a myth, like any and all folklore/tales in every culture, once passed through mouth to ear and again from mouth to ear each time its roots get changed and creates the stories and legends about the Ninja that exist in this world today. There is evidence on some scrolls that may verify Ninjutsu as a complete martial art system and/or style. In the Togakure Ryu, the Ninja Juhakkei was studied together with Bugei Juhappan, which is the 18 Samurai Martial Art skills. If anything, the way society through the big screens has depicted the “Ninja” is through mysticism, espionage, assassin with no honor, etc. has made it very hard for anyone to see this art form in any way realistic. BUT it is! Ninjutsu can be found in the pre Meiji period, at the Muromachi period, the Edo period and the Azuchi-Momoyama period. My daughter, who is about to go for her Black Belt this year, has reminded me time after time that when we brain storm, research is one of the strong keys to knowing about culture & history. She truly keeps me on my toes because she comes prepared before the battle!

BKO: Tell us about Team Phoenix. 

Master Le Grand: When I moved to Florida from NYC in 2002, I was in search of a group I could train for free to assist me in establishing what my system was about. I needed a Team because I couldn’t do it by myself. The Phoenix is a bird of flame that is immortal and only one can exist at a time. When it is time for it to past, it consumes itself of fire into ashes just to bring itself back again, younger and more vibrant than before. That is who Team Phoenix and Lost Legacy Systems Martial Arts represents. Team Phoenix are specially picked individuals who are either “at risk” to society, can’t afford the martial arts and/or those who were bullied or considered “not popular” enough to hang with the “in” crowd. Team Phoenix is the Demo Team. We do demonstrations at events, schools, fairs, tournaments etc. Team Phoenix continues to “evolve” each year and we continue to look for more members and honorary students of all styles.

BKO: What was it like being on the Ricki Lake show? What was that all about?

Master Le Grand: When I lived in NYC, I was working at New York Sports Club as a Fitness Program Manager. One day, during my lunch break, I was approached by a group of ladies. They asked me what I did for a living because I looked fit with a unique look and carried myself a certain way. I told them I was a personal fitness trainer and a Martial Arts Instructor. They said that they worked for the Ricki Lake Show and would like me to be a part of it.  The title of that show would be “Search for the International Hunk” which demonstrated good physique, verbal skills, and a form of talent which was my Martial Arts! It was an incredible feeling. I felt electrifying because I knew that no one’s talent was going to be like mine. I was jumping, diving, doing isolated poses & throwing kicking combinations. An experience to further demonstrate myself as a Martial Artist and to promote Lost Legacy Systems.  



BKO: What are your 5 to 10 year goals for your system?

Master Le Grand: As any other Dojo would want, in 5 years I look to open another Martial Arts school ran by a student or students who have reached Instructor Status & further promote what we at Lost Legacy Systems represent, which is Traditional Values with a Modern day approach to the Arts. In 10 years, international recognition as an established Martial Arts style such as Judo, Tae Kwon Do, and other forms of Kung Fu.

BKO: Is there anything else you would like to tell our readers?

Master Le Grand: Do not ridicule an art or person you see and don’t know much about because the practitioner isn’t as advance as you are. At one time you were at a low skillset and if ego continues to drive you to judging individuals and/or other styles, then you yourself will never see the true meaning to being a TRUE Martial Artist.


BKO Kung Fu: Master Le Grand thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.



No comments: