Monday, January 27, 2014

Interview with Linda Vu - Wing Chun - Fitness Expert

Linda Vu
Linda Vu is a Certified Fitness Trainer, Fitness Consultant and Fitness Model. She currently trains at Temple's Wing Chun School. Working with experts in the fitness, self defense and motivational industries, Linda’s team will come to your gym, school or venue to set up an interactive workshop educating your audience with modern day techniques that will inspire, motivate and empower you. Each seminar runs a minimum of one hour with some lasting two or more.

BKO Kung Fu: You have been studying Wing Chun for the last 3 years. What are your 5 to 10 year goals concerning your marital arts training?

Linda: I’ve always been intrigued and fascinated with martial arts.  Initially, like most people who had taken any martial arts class, they want to learn how to protect and defend themselves.  Through my learning process, martial arts had helped me to become mentally and physically stronger.  I knew from that moment, martial arts would always be a part of my life.  Although I’m trained and certified in Wing Chun Kung Fu, I’m also trained in a variety of martial arts such as Close Quarters Combat, Police Defensive Tactics and Practical Self Defense.  My goal is learn as much as I can to master the art and share it with people.  In a perfect world, there would be no crimes but the reality is that crime does happen.  I want to empower people by passing on my knowledge as I want people to feel safe and for them to be able to defend themselves if they’re ever attacked.



BKO: What sets your self-defense seminars apart from women going down to a local MMA school and learning to defend themselves?

Linda: No matter what martial arts style that you’re drawn to, I truly believe they are all good. With that being said, my seminars are NOT focused on one particular style. I have a team of instructors with extensive background in a variety of martial arts such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Filipino Eskrima, Tae Kwon Do, Close Quarters Combat, Tai Chi, Wing Chun Kung Fu, Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, Military & Police Defensive Tactics and more. 

MMA is considered sports martial arts and in my opinion, it’s not practical for realistic situations. My seminars are reality-based self-defense with a team of instructors from variety of martial arts background.  I’ve put a powerful team together giving the women the best and practical self-defense techniques and not just one particular style that wouldn’t help them in the streets.  I’m a very petite woman.  If the techniques works for me, I know it will work for any woman.

I offer seminars locally in and around Las Vegas, Nevada as well as internationally.  Due to the high demand of my seminars, starting this February, my team and I are contracted to go overseas for Armed Forces Entertainment to train the military women.  


BKO: You are only 5 feet tall and weigh 86 lbs. Do people sometimes have a hard time taking you seriously in training self defense? How do you win their confidence?

Linda: I often hear that size doesn’t matter in martial arts.  Quite frankly, I think size does matter but don’t let that determine the outcome.  If size didn’t matter, there would be no need for light or heavy weight categories.  As long as I could remember, I’ve always had to fight harder to be great because there are people out there that can be very dismissive because I’m a petite woman.  Some men treat me like I don’t belong in their boys’ club but that only motivates me to become extraordinary.  Overcoming obstacles help to build character and will only make one stronger.  When I walk into any martial arts studio, I’m judged because of my look and size. Most people don’t expect me to last more than a month.  I know that only in time that I would prove them wrong.  When they realized how serious, focused and how much I’ve excelled is when I know I’ve earned my place to be there and gain their respect.  


You toured with US troops in 2012. Where did you go? Tell us about the most memorable moment.

Linda: In this day and age, you got to be diversified.  Besides martial arts and fitness, I’m also a producing partner at Don Barnhart Entertainment working along side with my husband, Don Barnhart who is an award-winning comedian, to bring entertainment to the troops overseas. 

I made a special appearance to host one of the many comedy shows for the troops.  We were in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar and Djibouti Africa.  It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  It was an honor to meet all the troops and to show them my appreciation.  They are truly my heroes for fighting for our freedom. 

It was really hard for me, as an independent woman, to actually experience the culture in Saudi Arabia, the most conservative country in the world.  I was told not to look at any man in the eyes and had to wear the full burka in public.  As a woman in Saudi, you were considered second class and have no rights.  Freedom is one of the many things that I love about America and I will never take that for granted.  I count my blessing everyday and it makes me proud to be an American.  


BKO: What's your fitness philosophy?

Linda: Fitness is a lifestyle. Being fit is not about looking good; it’s about being healthy. When you’re healthy, looking good will come naturally.  I work out for how it makes me feel from the inside and not to look good from the outside.  I’m sad when I see a woman starving herself just to fit in a dress.  The logic is to buy a bigger size.  We come in all shapes and sizes and that’s what makes us unique in our own way.  I work out because I enjoy being healthy, not because I have to.  Working out or being active should be a way of life and not just “something to do when you have time”.  People waste too much time doing other things that is insignificant when they should be focusing on being healthy.  Your healthy should be the most important thing.


BKO: What are the 3 hardest things about being a fitness instructor?

Linda: There’s nothing hard about sharing what you love and know. Fitness is fun for me; therefore, it’s really difficult for me to think any part of it as “hard”.  In fitness, “hard” is a strong word. Maybe just some mental difficulties, such as:

1) When someone asks me for fitness advice, I’m always happy to help but it’s hard to give advice      when I realize that person has no intent to follow through. 
2) As a fitness trainer, it’s hard for me to watch an overweight person eating unhealthy food.  It’s       like watching someone killing himself/herself slowly.
3) When I see my clients posting unhealthy food pictures on social media when they know darn            well that it’s not part of my nutritional menu. 


BKO: You offer personal fitness lessons to a select group of clients. Is someone where to qualify as a client, what could they expect from their sessions?

Linda: I specialize in one-on-one women’s fitness training.  I don’t want to train with any woman who is not ready to succeed.  Training is not just “something to do” when there’s nothing else to do.  When someone is committed to training with me at least 5 times a week with a minimum of 30 days, she will see a dramatic change. 

I provide my clients with a personalized nutritional and fitness plan.  My nutritional menu will provide a healthy food choice that anyone can follow.  They’ll be educated in nutrition, learning what food is best for their body, making it easy to reach their goal.  My personal training consist a lot of cardio exercises to slim, trim and tone your body.  Expect a mean and lean workout and expect results.


BKO: What is your favorite album to workout to? 

Linda: I don’t have a favorite album but when it comes to music and working out, there’s only one genre for me.  It’s got to be techno music.  I love working to the fast beat.  When I hear the fast beat, my body is ready to turn it up and sweat.  There’s nothing like it when you’re in the moment!


BKO: What movie inspires you the most and why?

Linda: There are a lot of great movies out there but the one that I can relate to the most is G.I. Jane with actress Demi Moore.  The film tells the fictional story of the first woman to undergo training in U.S. Navy Special Warfare Group. Although the movie did not get the best ratings but I find it entertaining and inspiring.  I know what it’s like when all odds are against you.  You’ve got to be strong and break through those barriers no matter how tough the situation may be.  Demi Moore was beautiful, strong an intelligent.  Those are the combined characteristics that I’m drawn to in real life and not one without the other.


BKO: We want to act on TV or in the movies when we leave school. Since you have done many things with film, like starring, producing and Production design, can you give us three tips on starting a film career?

Linda: Entertainment is a crazy business and at the same time can be very rewarding.  There are so many branches in the film industry.  Many people move to Hollywood thinking that they’ll be a big star but a lot of them end up broke after a few years and give up.  It’s good to have goals and dreams.  Stay focused on what you want to do and plan out how you’re going to get there.  Like anything else, if it were easy, everybody would be doing it.  Depending what kind of work you want to do, get out there and network.  If you want to be an actor - Get an acting agent, enroll in an acting class and make sure you’ve got a teacher with high credentials.  Always look good when you’re out in public, you never know whom you’re going to meet.  Learn everything you can so when an opportunity comes along you’re always prepared.  Lastly, stay positive and don’t be late!


BKO: Is there anything else you would like to tell our readers?

Linda: I want to thank everyone who has been there with me through my journeys - my family, friends, kung fu family, my self-defense team, and my fans.  Life was never easy for me growing up, I worked hard to get to where I’m at in life and to be independent.  I set my goals high and I’ve accomplished everything that I’ve ever wanted.  However, that doesn’t mean it stop here.  I truly believe we evolve and be even better in time.  No matter where you are in life or what your obstacles may be, stay focus on your self.  If you’re looking at what other people are doing, you’re not paying attention to yourself.  Get serious, get focused and get out there and live your dreams!


For more about Linda Vu, visit www.lindavu.net






No comments: