Friday, March 14, 2014

Interview with Anthony Pho - Martial Arts Expert, Actor and Stunt Man

Martial Arts Expert
Martial Arts Expert
Anthony Pho is an expert in multiple martial arts styles. He currently lives in France where he enjoys a successful career as an actor and stunt man in French Movies.  

Tell  us about your martial arts and acrobatic background.

I started martial arts when I was 13 with Vovinam Vietvodao for 5 years.  This is a very complete style considered as Vietnamese kung fu. Afterwards I studied Taekwondo. I’m a black belt and I have learned the basics of gymnastics. I also do tricking and I train more on weapons (single/double nunchuks, katana, bo staff, kamas). 

But since 2008, I started to learn screen fighting and falls. I was lucky to meet Olivier Schneider and Patrick Vo from  U-men stunts. They choreographed various movies including Fast and Furious 6, Taken and Safe House. Olivier and Patrick have been my teachers for a year and I have also had several years of training with my friend Manu Lanzi, who really helps me a lot. I can’t thank him enough for being my teacher.

)


What do you think you would be doing if you did not have martial arts and acrobatic training?

I have a Masters degree in computer science. I could work as an engineer but I have been so lucky to land various jobs in the movie industry after I graduated.


How dangerous is being a stunt person? Is it as dangerous as it looks or is there an aspect of safety to it?

I don’t think it’s dangerous because you should know what you are able to do and NOT able to do. You have to train a lot to prepare your body and everyone has their specialities. 

If you don’t feel a stunt, don’t be upset to tell the stunt coordinator you don’t want to take the risk. There is nothing worse than making your stunt coordinator embarrassed because you got injured doing something you know you could not do.

You are padded most of the time, and you rehearse the stunt little by little, so most of the time, it is safe and the stunt coordinator is there to prevent any risks.


In your opinion, what is different between being an actor in France and being an actor in the United States? 

That really depends on your projects and yourself. To me, as an Asian actor in France, it’s very difficult to play a role that is different from that of an Asian character. There are not as many projects compared to the United States, but we often play the same type of roles; as an immigrant, a waiter, somebody in a Chinese mafia… But sometimes you have other kind of interesting propositions. But some American friends told me they have the similar roles as I do in France. I hope that will change one day so that we have a variety of roles to choose from.

)

What do you feel defines a "successful" actor?

To me, a "successful" actor is somebody that can really choose to play want he wants to play and the projects he wants to be involved in. "Successful" is a kind of freedom for the actor.


What is something you know now that you wish you knew when you were first starting out as an actor? 

During the different acting classes and movies I’ve done, the best advice I could give anyone is to let yourself go! You have to be free of your body, of your mind and concentrate on your character, your partners and your environment. You always have to be aware of everything, and accept what your partners give to you. If something unexpected happens and you are surprised, integrate it in your acting; that makes it more real and more interesting.

It’s easy to tell you this but you have to act, act and act to understand it.


What character have you played that you felt was most like you? Why?

I’ve just finished shooting a new TV show for France called " CHEFS" directed by Arnaud Malherbe about french food and culture. It’s weird because I have never really cooked. I played Woo, who is Korean. He came to France to learn the french food and culture. I could really relate to this character because he’s someone very nice, shy, always smiling and always trying to help others.  It was funny to play because you just have to learn the lines and be directed.




What is the most interesting role you have played?

A movie called "Shanghai Belleville" directed by Show Chun LEE (not released yet) where I had one of the main characters. I played Liwei, a Chinese immigrant who came to France with his little brother because their parents were killed for being smugglers. He tried to live in France, build a new life and he was confronted with many integration problems. It was very difficult because it was my first role in a movie and I did not have prior experience to draw from. The character had such a terrible experience in their life.  I really worked hard to learn the history of my character and his personality.  I have written a diary to try to know everything about him in order to construct the character, which in turn helps me to act.  I have also done a really hard diet to change the way I move because the character did not have the daily comfort in their life like I do.  Despite all this, I still think that this is the most interesting experience I have had. 


Do you have any hobbies outside acting, martial arts and acrobatics?

I really enjoy photography and I started to direct my own videos with cute stories involving my cousins aged of 6 to 9.

Anthony, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and offer insight that helps our audience learn more about you. 

For more information on Anthony Pho, visit http://www.anthonypho.com/

No comments: