Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Interview with BJJ Blackbelt Jeff Messina

Jeff Messina is a well-known and respected expert in the world of mixed martial arts. His impressive wins in professional MMA fights help to prove it. He has trained with legends like Tito Ortiz, Fransico Albuquerque, and Rodrigo Medeiros to name a few. He has spent time training in the home lands of BJJ and Muay Thai; bringing his knowledge back to share in the United States. He currently owns 3 successful MMA training centers and is consistently involved with the training at all levels. (Expanded Bio)

BKO Kung Fu: Jeff, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer our questions today.

You have traveled to Brazil to train in Jiu-Jitsu and have traveled to Thailand to train in Muay Thai. We have noticed some other martial artist do this also? Do you believe this helps in a martial artist career? Why?

Jeff: Traveling to the homeland of BJJ and Thai boxing is a great experience to learn from the source and get the history and culture of your martial arts. I'm lucky to have spent the last 10 years going back and forth to train and compete in Rio. My coach has a gym in Rio Called Nova Geracao. I'm actually going next week. I feel privileged to be part of my team. The team is a close knit group and full of integrity with skilled fighters.  It helps to put yourself among others that are just as serious about training as you are and to get away from your routine and daily distractions; to just focus on your training.  When I first started, getting quality training was hard here. So, I went to the source.

Jeff Messina Highlight Reel

BKO: What do you wish more people knew about BJJ?

Jeff: I wish more people knew BJJ is a culture and a lifestyle that is for everyone and will help anyone and much more than they could understand. There's no other martial art as effective or life changing as BJJ. It takes the longest to master but is the fastest to become very effective in. I have seen BJJ change people and even save people’s lives.  There is no realistic martial arts without bjj period. Other styles must incorporate bjj to become effective, not the other way around.

BKO: What do you feel is your biggest accomplishment in martial arts? Why does it stand out over everything else?

Jeff: I have many good memories from competing in bjj. I feel the best ones haven't come yet but probably the one that sticks out is when I won the IBJJF nationals at brown belt in the absolute category, submitting all 3 opponents, and then receiving my black belt from my coach Rodrigo Medieros on the Podium.

BKO: Tell us about your school in Katy, Texas? What can people expect if they want to become students?

Jeff: I have 3 schools; one in Katy, one in downtown Houston and we just opened one in Richmond/fulshur. A student can expect the highest quality instruction and training in a family environment. You will be adopted into my family and feel important no matter what your goal is.


BKO: What is the hardest thing about leading a martial arts school? How do you deal with it?

Jeff: I would say the hardest thing about running a martial art school is the business side. Keeping people motivated to not give up. Real martial arts are tough and the reward is slow in regards to belts. Most people give up when the going gets tough, not just in bjj but in life. Those who are successful in bjj are usually successful in their personal lives or will become so because of what bjj can teach you.

BKO: Do you train any professional fighters that are actively fighting? Can you name a few?

I have several tough MMA fighters. I would say my top two pro fighters are Domingo Pilarte and Larry Crowe. I have been training Domingo since he was a teenager. He's very talented and dangerous in all areas. Larry is also very dangerous and has huge potential. In addition, I have several great amateur fighters such as Perry Scott, Quetin Kiper and Colby and Sage Northcutt. I have many more that will be making their debut shortly.

BKO Kung Fu: Is there anything else you would like to tell our readers?

Jeff: Come give us a try, I will change your life for the better. www.revolutiondojo.com




No comments: