Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Jeet Kune Do Expert, Actor and Stuntman - Kefi Abrikh

Kefi Abrikh - Actor and Stuntman
Kefi Abrikh is a french actor and stuntman. He is in expert in Jeet Kune Do and Freestyle Acrobatic Martial Arts. He's had a successful career in Europe and Japan. He's has also worked in international movie hits like Fast and Furious 6. 

What was the hardest part of fitting in with the Japanese stunt community?

My first difficulty was of course communication! Thankfully, I had studied Japanese for 2 years before I came to Japan. Nevertheless, I had to learn all the stunt vocabulary usually used on the set. Furthermore, I had to learn how to behave properly in the Japanese hierarchy. 

Which stunt in Resident Evil "The Nightmare Of Dante" was the hardest to pull off and how did you accomplish it?

There was a wire-work scene where Nero catches Dante's leg in the air and hits him violently to the ground. 



What was it like being on the set of Fast and Furious 6?

That was just amazing! It was very different from what I've done until now. When I was younger, playing in a US studio production was just unimaginable! I have very good memories of fighting with Vin Diesel and Paul Walker. 

One of your many skills is Hong Kong Style Fighting. How does one recognize this style?

Hong Kong style fighting is very recognizable because it's a very acrobatic fighting style with a lot of innovative stunts using improvised weapons. Sequences of fighting scenes are very quick and often have violent stunts. Nevertheless, my favorite skill remains Japanese style action because I like to give life to characters that can only communicate with gestures. 

What's the best way for a martial artist to get into professional stunt work?

I would love to have the answer of that question! I think that getting into the professional stunt work is a combination of hard working and luck.  You need to keep on training very hard so that you are ready when the opportunity comes.



What trick took you the longest to learn? What changed mentally to accomplish it?

It took me very long time before I mastered the "540 kick". Nowadays, it's a very simple kick but it's very powerful. I just kept on rehearsing till I managed it. 

What projects are you working on that we can look forward to seeing in the future?

Kefi Abrikh
I am working on different projects right now. One of them is a french live action series inspired by a Japanese sentai series. 

If you could change one thing in your life what would it be?

This is a difficult question to answer! There are so many aspects of my life, that looking back now, could have been improved. But, each and every of my failures have led me where I am now. 

Is there anything else you would like to tell our readers?

If you want to succeed in something, just give your best. Even if you fail many times, keep on believing in youself. If you are motivated enough to continue, then you've found your real path. 


No comments: