Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mike Moh Interview - Martial Artist

Mike Moh is a 4th degree black belt in Taekwondo. He has played  in multiple TV series and is also known for his stunt work. You can see Mike in the upcoming film Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist as Ryu.

What did you enjoy most about your Taekwondo competitions when you were younger?

I really enjoyed the opportunity to showcase the skills I had been working hard to improve on in my training. It was also a very friendly environment and still am friends with many of the kids I competed with!

Are the flips and twist normally taught in Taekwondo? If not, how did you learn them?

No flips and twists are normally taught in traditional taekwondo. However, the high flying/spinning kicks that taekwondo is known for make transitioning into "tricks" much easier than other martial arts styles. I learned how to do tricks by teaching myself with the help of online videos and going to open gym sessions at gymnastics facilities.

When you were filming with Jackie Chan. Did you ever hear him say something in person that has stuck with you after all this time?

It was more of what he did than what he said. Even though he's one of the world's biggest movie stars, on the set he was sweeping the floor, running around like crazy working very hard to help out the production. He ate meals alongside everyone else and even shared his chicken with me! He's a hard worker and very very down to earth.




Has your degree in Marketing helped you develop your acting career? If yes, how so?

My college experience helped me as an actor as it taught me about life and how to live on my own and be responsible. For me, acting is all about drawing from personal experiences and translating those experiences into your character. 

Many martial artists start off with stunt work. Do you feel this is a good way to get started?

Everyone has their own path. For me, my background in martial arts helped me get acting agents immediately so I was fortunate to book work in TV and commercials right away since my main goal was to be an actor not just martial artist. Others prefer to stick to stunts or use stunts to transition into acting.

What do you feel was the number one difference between making it as an actor and never being signed after your first role?

Staying positive was my key to success. No matter how talented you are, actors will hear NO many many many times. The actors that can stay positive and continue working hard will end up landing roles that will lead to a prolonged career.

You recently had a spot on Castle, one of our favorite shows. How did you get that spot? What was it like being on the show?

Since I no longer live in Los Angeles, my agent had me video tape an audition. Thankfully, they really liked my audition and after a few days I flew to LA and filmed the show! Working on the show with actors like Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic was pretty intimidating and I was nervous! However, they were very kind and easy to work with and I had a blast working with the Castle crew!


Is there anything we can hope to see you in, in the future?

Besides Street Fighter:Assassin's Fist coming out next month on Machinima, I also have a really cool short film called "The Man from Death" coming out later this year. I play a diabolical villain!

Is there anything else you would like to tell our readers?

Stay positive, train hard, and eat your vegetables.


Mike, thank you for taking time out to answer our questions. We look forward to seeing your upcoming TV appearance. 



Be sure to visit Mike's website to learn more about his career. 


No comments: